Minnesota Purchasing or Transferring a Pistol or Assault Weapon

A person who wishes to purchase a pistol or assault weapon

from a federally licensed firearms dealer must either obtain a
transferee permit from the local police chief or sheriff or
submit to a background check to determine eligibility to
possess the weapon. A person need not obtain a transferee
permit if the person already possesses a valid permit to carry
a pistol.     Minn. Stat. §§ 624.7131; 624.7132

Transferee permits. Any person may apply for a transferee
permit by submitting an application to the local police chief
or sheriff containing certain personal information about the
applicant, including a statement that the applicant is not
prohibited from possessing a pistol or assault weapon. The
application also must contain an authorization for the release
of relevant mental health commitment information to the
investigating law enforcement agency. The law enforcement
agency must then investigate the applicant’s eligibility to
possess the weapon and either issue the permit or deny the
application within seven days of the application. No fee may
be charged for the investigation or the issuance of the permit.
A permit may be denied only if the law enforcement agency
determines that the applicant is prohibited from possessing
the pistol or assault weapon and provides the applicant
written reasons for the denial. The applicant may appeal a
denial decision to the appropriate district court. Once
granted, a permit is valid statewide and may be renewed


Handgun Purchases or Transfers

Under Minnesota law, handgun transfers involve any sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery to another person. If you possess a valid permit to carry a handgun, that permit constitutes a permit to purchase. A person with valid permit to carry does not need to apply for a separate permit to purchase.

There are three options for individuals wishing to purchase or transfer a handgun.

1. You may apply for a permit to purchase/transfer a handgun in Minnesota.

Click on the link Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt Permit to Purchase/Transfer  to download or print a copy.

Once you have completed the application, you must submit it to your local police chief or the local sheriff if the municipality you live in does not have a police department. (Note: if you are applying for the permit to transfer, the law enforcement agency has seven (7) days from the time it receives your application to notify you of its status.) The law enforcement agency will conduct a series of background-related checks to assure you meet the eligibility requirements established in state law. Once those checks are complete, a permit will be issued that is valid for one year and may be used to purchase a handgun statewide.

2. If you agree to purchase a handgun from someone and you have not obtained a permit to purchase, the individual selling or transferring the handgun to you must report the potential transaction to either the local police department or the sheriff’s office if there is no police department in the municipality where you live. Once the law enforcement agency receives the transfer/purchase agreement, the agency has five days to determine whether you are eligible to possess a handgun.

3. If you want to make a one-time purchase of a handgun from a dealer, and you do not have a permit to purchase, you may apply directly at the gun shop where you will purchase the handgun. The gun shop will require you to complete a consent form that allows them to conduct a name and date-of-birth background check to determine your eligibility to purchase a gun. The gun shops are entitled to charge a fee for this service.